Vice President, Discovery Chemistry
"It is my desire to build a world-class discovery chemistry department that enables Genentech to help as many patients as possible."
years at Genentech
awards & honors
I joined Genentech in May 2007 to lead the Small Molecule Discovery Chemistry Department after 25 years at the Pfizer Ann Arbor site, the last seven as Vice President of Chemistry. I was attracted to Genentech because of its rich culture of scientific excellence and dedication to innovative, ground-breaking research driven by the needs of patients.
What I have seen at Genentech during my tenure is a real commitment to discovering and developing potential therapies for difficult, life-threatening diseases where medical need is high and often patients are desperate for new medical advances. This commitment is a distinguishing feature that attracted me to Genentech.
The Relationship Between Tissue Selectivity and Lipophilicity for Inhibitors of HMG-CoA Reductase.
J. Med. Chem. 1991, 34, 463-6.
Roth BD, Bocan TMA, Blankley CJ, Chucholowski AW, Creger PL, Creswell MW, Ferguson E, Newton RS, O'Brien P, Picard JA, Roark WH, Sekerke CS, Sliskovic DR, Wilson MW.
As leader of Discovery Chemistry, I oversee project aimed at developing transformational medicines across a wide range of therapeutic areas, including cancer, immunology and infectious diseases. I am inspired by the patients who are waiting for the drugs that result from the outstanding work we do in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry. And I've come to realize that these patients are waiting, often desperately, for the hope brought by potential drug therapies, and that our efforts really can make a difference in the lives of patients.
- Pfizer Global Research and Development, Vice President, Chemistry – 2000-2007
- Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Research Scientist, Research Scientist; Senior Director, Atherosclerosis, Inflammation and Exploratory Chemistry – 1982-1999
- University of Rochester, Postdoctoral Fellow – 1981-1982
- Iowa State University, Ph.D. – 1981
- St. Joseph's College, B.S. – 1976
Awards & Honors
- Perkin Medal by the Society of Chemical Industry – 2013
- Heroes of Chemistry Honoree – 2008
- Pfizer Global Research and Development Achievement Award – 2006
- Iowa State University Distinguished Alumni Award – 2005
- Gustavus John Esselen Award for Chemistry in the Public Service – 2003
- American Chemical Society Award for Creative Invention – 2003
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association Inventor of the Year Award – 1999
- Warner-Lambert Chairman's Distinguished Scientific Achievement Award for the Discovery and Developme – 1997