Internships With Lasting Impact
Genentech’s Intern and Co-op programs are recognized among the industry’s best and provide students with a chance to experience the biotechnology industry while gaining experience relevant to their degree.
Our programs offer unparalleled learning and networking opportunities throughout the company, including the ability to contribute to meaningful projects and interact and work side-by-side with biotech industry experts.
Genentech provides paid Internship opportunities coupled with a flexible and diverse work environment in four locations:
- South San Francisco, California (Headquarters)
- Vacaville, California
- Oceanside, California
- Hillsboro, Oregon
All internships are paid positions. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
Eligible Interns will have opportunities to be considered for future full-time positions, rotation programs, or contract roles at Genentech.
- Summer Internships at Genentech are typically 10-12 weeks
- Interns can work at Genentech up to one year
- Undergraduate or graduate level students are welcome to apply
- Genentech recruits Interns for many functions across the company. Each Internship posting will list the preferred degree, major, and skills for the Internship
Summer Internship Hiring Timeline
Our summer Intern job postings generally begin in November of the previous year and run through the end of March. Selections timelines vary by position, but summer Internship selections are generally made during January through April. Although we do hire Interns throughout the year, the majority of our Interns are hired during the summer.
Summer Internship Highlights
- Opportunity to work on challenging, business-critical projects
- Presentation of end-of-summer project findings to senior management
- Networking opportunities
- Career development panels
- Social events (Day trips, volunteer events, Intern social media contest)
- Intern video contest
- Our VP Lunch and Learn speaker series, which introduces interns to Genentech senior management
Another way for current students to gain valuable experience and supplement their education is through Genentech’s cooperative education (Co-op) experience. Genentech’s Co-op program is designed to offer hands-on industry training for students currently enrolled in a related academic field wherein they gain expert knowledge and valuable connections while Genentech grows a robust pipeline of future talent.
- Candidates must be current students enrolled in a minimum of six units in a degree program related to the work of the Co-op project
- The candidate must be receiving course credit from their university for their work at Genentech to qualify as a Co-op
- Co-op terms at Genentech are typically 6-12 months
- Undergraduate or graduate level students are welcome to apply. Each Co-op position will list the preferred degree, major, and skills for the position
General Eligibility for Interns/Co-ops
- We hire Interns/Co-ops at all degree levels: BS, MS, PharmD, and PhD. Please search on gene.com to view preferred degree levels for each position
- You must have completed one year of university to be considered for an Internship/Co-op
- We do accept applications from international students, however visa sponsorship support varies by position and department
- All Internships/Co-ops are paid, so you must be legally authorized to work in the United States during the entire length of your Internship/Co-op
- For Internships, you must be within two years of your last degree attained to be considered
Genentech recruits on specific university campuses during the fall and spring sessions. Internship opportunities are also posted at select universities, and annual application deadlines are included in posted opportunities. If Genentech is not interviewing at your university, please search Internship and Co-op openings on gene.com/careers under the Internship/Student Job Type.
All applicants receive an email notification when their application is received. Qualified candidates of interest will be notified directly by a hiring manager.