Providing Postdocs With a Quality Experience
Your Postdoctoral journey will be accompanied by tremendous support at Genentech. As one of our strongest assets, Genentech's rewarding four-year Postdoctoral Program offers you the chance to contribute to cutting-edge research at a highly visible company that provides the rich resources you are seeking.
Genentech’s Postdoctoral Program provides the opportunity for PhD graduates or early in career Scientists to work in either the Research or Development Science organizations, by pairing them up with Genentech's scientists to conduct basic and/or translational research of the highest caliber. The program provides a unique opportunity to pursue important scientific questions and work with some of the world's most well-known and prolific scientists. As a postdoc at Genentech, you are encouraged to present your research at meetings, and our mentors will guide and develop your abilities to become an independent scientific investigator. Here, you'll thrive through daily collaborations with world-class scientists both at the company and beyond Genentech's walls.
- An unrivaled opportunity to put yourself at the forefront of science, working with some of the world's most well-known and prolific scientists
- A nurturing environment - one that will enable you to develop into an independent scientific investigator
- The opportunity to pursue important scientific questions and watch your ideas move from the laboratory into development, then out into the clinic
- Emerge as critical contributor to our mission to develop, manufacture and commercialize medicines that treat people with serious or life-threatening medical conditions
The Genentech postdoctoral program is designed to create a supportive environment for rigorous scientific training, resulting in research of the highest possible quality. Genentech benefits greatly in turn by gaining new ideas, techniques and cutting-edge capabilities.
A guiding tenet for postdoctoral research is timely publication in prestigious journals, after filing patent applications where appropriate. Postdocs are actively encouraged to present their research at internal and external meetings, and mentors are expected to nurture skills that will enable postdocs to become independent scientific investigators.
Postdoctoral program activities include:
- Annual Offsite Meeting
Attended by research directors and science VPs, the scientific program includes a keynote speaker from outside of Genentech postdocs presenting their work
- Onsite Postdoctoral Meetings
Held twice monthly, two postdocs present their latest research at each meeting
- Postdoc Seminar Series
As part of an annual seminar series, postdocs invite and host 10 to 12 speakers of their choosing
- Annual Offsite Meeting
To apply, view open postdoctoral positions on gene.com and submit your application directly to the website. Your materials will automatically be sent to the appropriate parties.
Select candidates will be invited to visit Genentech. There, they will present a seminar on their research and meet with an interview team consisting of scientists, postdocs, and the director of the relevant research department.
Salary and Benefits
Postdocs come to Genentech after completing their doctorate or with some years of postdoctoral experience. Postdoctoral tenure at Genentech is for up to four years.
Postdoc salaries will increase each year at Genentech based on satisfactory performance.
Postdoc starting salaries are as follows:
Year Annual Salary 1 $70,000 2 $72,000 3 $74,000 4 $76,000
Postdocs are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Pay for company holidays & year end shutdown
- Vacation Time (18 days)
- Free access to gRide - Genentech’s bus system across the Bay Area
- Free access to Genentech’s gym, campus amenities, and other onsite services