South San Francisco
California, United States of America
The Senior Medical Director / Senior Medical Science Director at Genentech puts patients and science at the center of all actions. They drive medical strategy and tactics aimed at maximizing medical progress. They collaborate to drive timely data generation and dissemination. They are expected to maintain an in-depth understanding of the medical strategy and relevant clinical and payer issues, while ensuring Genentech's partners understand key trends and shifts in the external healthcare landscape. They serve as the guardian for high standards of compliance, ethics and safety. This role is organized within a network of experts, and therefore may at any time be performing a variety of medical activities, as needed.
Key Responsibilities for all Senior Medical Directors / Senior Medical Science Director:
In this role the Senior Medical Directors / Senior Medical Science Directors will be required to perform one or more of the following activities depending upon areas of expertise or assignment to specific activities, molecules, or disease/therapeutic areas:
• Design, execute, and monitor medical strategies, plans and tactics spanning the lifecycle, including but not limited to:
o clinical data generation design and management
o thought leader interactions
o design and execution of sponsored and supported trials
o design and analysis of data from registries, exploratory data analysis
o lead review and authoring of publications
o medical content creation and review
o scientific exchange/engagement and scientific communications/collaborations
o support medical education
o scientific congress planning and support
o evaluate, synthesize, and visualize clinical and economic data and develop written scientific communication
o identify access-related medical issues and opportunities
• Monitor adverse events reported and partner with medical monitoring team to identify signal vs. noise
• Identify clinical strategies to mitigate risk for REMS plan [Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies]
• Provide clinically meaningful perspective for regulatory and other scientific communications
• Actively participate and contribute to relevant communities of practice
Key Accountabilities for all Senior Medical Directors / Senior Medical Science Directors:
• Depending upon areas of assignment for specific activities or molecules, disease/therapeutic areas or for the full portfolio, acting as a medical individual for relevant study design and monitoring, data interpretation, medical content development and review, scientific exchange and collaboration, clinical training and insights generation to internal stakeholders and external customers.
• Accountable for implementing strategy through medical tactics, tapping into the network of relevant expertise and insights
• Contribute medical expertise to Genentech work products and coach/mentor others as needed
• Facilitate sharing of information within, across and outside of Medical Affairs to enable medical progress
• Maintaining an in-depth understanding of relevant medical strategy and clinical, patient/caregiver, payer and healthcare/market landscape
• Act as a guardian for high standards of compliance, ethics and safety; putting patients at the center of all actions
• MD (Board Certified MD within therapeutic area e.g. Pulmonologist or Allergist or Immunologist is preferred)
• Advanced Clinical/Science Degree (e.g. PharmD, PhD, etc.) with experience in respiratory diseases or Immunologic related diseases.
• 3-10 years of pharmaceutical/biotechnology relevant industry experience preferred - preferably in Medical Affairs or product development or is a recognized expert in respiratory, immunology (with a minimum of 2 years’ clinical experience)
• Strong academic/teaching background preferred
• Understanding of and/or previous experience with Phase I - III and/or Phase IV drug development or in medical affairs
• Considerable experience in the principles and techniques of data analysis, interpretation and clinical relevance, and medical writing
• Proven record in developing strong relationships with external constituents (therapeutic area experts, external organizations, etc.) preferred
• Proven track record of meeting or exceeding objectives and goals
• Strong customer orientation/focus
• Ability to flex and thrive in an ambiguous environment undergoing transformational change
• Works well within teams and is effective in collaborating with others internally and externally
• Analytical and problem-solving capabilities and skills. Has demonstrated the ability to anticipate and solve problems of moderate complexity and scope e.g. evaluate, interpret and present highly complex data
• Communication and presentation skills; highly effective at summarizing and presenting key considerations and decision-points
• Strong business acumen: knows the industry, key competitors, marketplace factors/dynamics
• Ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple priorities
• Good interpersonal and influencing skills; can effectively and quickly establish rapport with all key internal/external partners and stakeholders and influence without authority
• Good negotiation skills: can drive discussions and decisions towards desired results
• Understanding of legal and regulatory considerations impacting pharma/biotech industry and ability and judgement to apply principles to daily activities
• Strong attention-to-detail
• Business travel, by air or car, is required for regular internal and external business meetings
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work. Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
These are our stories - stories of the obstacles and opportunities that define and celebrate the unique people at Genentech