South San Francisco, California
Commercial, Medical and Government Affairs Overview:
We are looking for a People & Culture (P&C) Business Partner to support the U.S. Commercial, Medical and Government Affairs (CMG) organization. As Genentech’s market-facing organization, CMG focuses on delivering more life to patients today and fueling tomorrow’s breakthroughs. Our operating principles are our foundation and our guide to how we behave. We follow the science, do what is best for patients no matter where it leads us, and strive to create a workplace where employees feel engaged, productive and proud.
This position collaborates closely with other CMG Business Partners & the US Medical Affairs Leadership team to understand long term business needs and strategic P&C priorities. The US Medical Affairs (USMA) organization consists of approximately 650 professionals who are focused on broadening opportunities for patient access by ensuring that health care stakeholders have the evidence they need on our products and the confidence in that evidence to make informed treatment decisions. USMA plays a pivotal role in bridging internal partner functions (including Research, Product Development, Commercial, and Government Affairs) and collaborating across the dynamic health ecosystem to ultimately deliver better patient outcomes while making care more accessible and affordable for all.
This position then translates CMG and USMA business strategy into P&C strategies for their leadership areas and drives fit for purpose implementation. This position leads and drives change initiatives, people streams, Work Product Teams (WPTs) and squads to embed and implement the overall P&C strategies for the US Medical Affairs organization. This position can also support Work Product Teams/squads or initiatives in other parts of the business based on overall priorities. This position is accountable as a trusted strategic partner and coach, advancing organizational design and effectiveness (including driving transformation in mindset, behaviors and ways of working), for building a diverse and inclusive work culture, and securing future talent and capabilities.
● Aligns P&C strategy, goals, and objectives to overall business strategies and objectives; translates P&C strategies to drive key business results; provides guidance on talent management, workforce strategies, organization design and reward and recognition in partnership with Business Partners, other P&C Chapters and subject-matter experts to develop high quality solutions
● Maintains broad-based knowledge of multiple leadership areas across the organization and its operations; uses knowledge of business and P&C insights, metrics, expertise, and decision principles to effectively diagnose topics with a wide range of complexity
● Recommends business practice/work process improvements to identify opportunities for leveraging human capital; ensures P&C initiatives adds organizational value
● Maintains knowledge of external environment and other related information on peer and comparison groups to effectively diagnose and implement strategies to help drive business decisions
● Strategic sparring partner and coach for fostering a leadership culture in line with the Roche leadership framework
● Translates the business vision, mission, and strategy along with the 10 year ambition and P&C Aspirational Goals into projects and initiatives with milestones and delivery schedules; leads or participates in WPTs/squads to effectively meet planned objectives; develops clear action plans with results-oriented goals for measuring success; drives alignment and buy-in within multiple leadership areas as part of a network
● Diagnoses P&C needs and identifies interventions that address issues of retention, change leadership, employee engagement, and leadership development, partnering with Business Partners, WPTs/squads and other P&C Chapters as appropriate; uses appropriate tools for leadership competency and skills assessment
● Drives and implements change with proven ability to influence business leaders and P&C
professionals to required outcomes
● Influences, develops, mentors and provides leadership to networks and WPTs/squads
in partnering with Advisory Business Partners at our Costa Rica People Support Solutions Center
Strategic P&C Insights & Innovation
● Gathers and analyzes internal and external data, evidence-based research, benchmarks, P&C and business metrics to make critical decisions; shares insights with leaders and recommends innovative solutions based on the P&C decision principles that support the culture, strategic direction and resources
● Diagnoses root causes of work environment issues, disruptive team dynamics and ineffective
organizational setups; initiates interventions and shapes solutions in collaboration and co-creation with key stakeholders across multiple leadership areas
Qualifications & Experience:
12+ years of broad and progressive HR management or consulting experience in or with organizations recognized for best HR practices
Bachelor's degree in Human Resources (related field) preferred, and/or equivalent work experience. Advanced degree preferred
Passion for and focus on building a diverse and inclusive work culture
Proven ability to lead with a creative mindset, acting as a coach and mentor for leaders
Systems thinking, proven ability to work effectively across multiple business areas, teams and key leadership areas in a fast paced environment
Ability to influence with courageous authenticity and build trust with individuals at all levels within the organization, challenging the status quo when appropriate
Effectively diagnosing long term P&C needs, and shaping and leading initiatives to address them
Strong communication skills (written and verbal) to effectively address all organizational levels
Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries, or sales organizations experience are preferred
Fluent in English
Ability to travel approximately 10% of the time
This position is not eligible for relocation
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply for this job" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
These are our stories - stories of the obstacles and opportunities that define and celebrate the unique people at Genentech.