The Patent Counsel will help build the company`s small molecule global intellectual property portfolio through strategic planning and execution of patent preparation and prosecution. Partnering with clients across multiple functional areas, the Patent Counsel will build, maintain and defend the Company`s intellectual property interests. The Patent Counsel will develop in-depth expertise in particular areas of medicinal chemistry and provide guidance on patent law issues to business groups and scientists conducting research in those areas. The ideal candidate will prove him/herself integral and invaluable to the business, as it continues to discover and explore innovative medicines and technologies to help patients.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Provide Advice & Counsel:
- Provide clear, informed and sophisticated counseling to clients within Research & Early Development (gRED), Product Development (PD), Manufacturing (PT), Business Development and other functional areas through all phases of patient-focused drug research, development, and commercialization
- Develop in-depth expertise in particular areas of small molecule drug discovery in order to provide guidance on patent law issues to business groups and scientists conducting research in those areas
- Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate
Manage Docket (prep, prosecute, conduct due diligence):
- Maintain a substantial and active prosecution docket of U.S. and foreign patent applications, with interference, reexamination, post-exam, and opposition practices as they may arise with prosecution
- Prepare, file and prosecute patent applications, with a primary focus on the protection of inventions and patent prosecution relating to small molecule therapeutics
- Conduct due diligence (including freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses)
Collaborate, Manage, & Support Others:
- Provide agreement support (including MTAs, CDAs, research collaborations, and licensing agreements)
- Support intellectual property-related transactional and litigation work
- At times, manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators, and interactions with global affiliates
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply online" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Genentech makes life-saving medicine. People make Genentech what it is. This video offers insights into who these people are and what it means to them to be working at Genentech.