Quiz: Skin Cancer
More than 3 million Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer each year, making it the most commonly diagnosed type of cancer in the United States. Take this quiz to test your knowledge of skin cancer and learn more about the disease.
1. True or False: More people develop skin cancer because of tanning than lung cancer because of smoking.
2. How many Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime?
3. Which type of skin cancer is the most common?
4. Which type of skin cancer is the most dangerous?
5. True or False: Only Caucasians can develop skin cancer.
6. What is the lowest level of sun protection factor (SPF) a sunscreen can contain to help protect against skin cancer?
7. How many serious sunburns does it take to double a person’s risk for developing melanoma?
8. True or False: Basal cell carcinoma isn’t that serious.
9. Which of the following new or changing moles or skin growths are commonly known as warning signs of melanoma?
10. True or False: Treating skin cancer is “just removing a mole.”
1 Skin Cancer Foundation. Skin Cancer Facts. Available at http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts. Accessed June 22, 2016.
2 American Cancer Society. Key statistics for basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Available at http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-basalandsquamouscell/detailedguide/skin-cancer-basal-and-squamous-cell-key-statistics. Accessed June 22, 2016.
3 American Cancer Society. Key statistics for melanoma skin cancer. Available at http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/detailedguide/melanoma-skin-cancer-key-statistics. Accessed June 22, 2016.
4 American Academy of Dermatology. Melanoma: Overview. Available at https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/skin-cancer/melanoma. Accessed June 22, 2016.
5 American Academy of Dermatology. Dermatologists provide recommendations for preventing and detecting skin cancer in people of color. Available at https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/dermatologists-provide-recommendations-for-preventing-and-detecting-skin-cancer-in-people-of-color. Accessed June 22, 2016.
6 Melanoma Research Foundation. Melanoma Facts and Stats. Available at https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/what-melanoma/melanoma-facts-and-stats. Accessed June 22, 2016.
7 American Cancer Society. Skin Cancer Prevention and Early Detection. Available at http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/moreinformation/skincancerpreventionandearlydetection/skin-cancer-prevention-and-early-detection-u-v-protection. Accessed June 22, 2016.