Genentech requires that the commercial invoice for imported or international
shipments contain a "detailed description of the merchandise", an accurate transaction value,
including any additions to the price actually paid or payable (the price we pay to the
supplier). Additionally, every article imported into the U.S. must be marked with the country of
origin of the article in English.
Invoices/Import Documents must contain the following:
Suppliers must provide:
- Detailed Description of the Merchandise (example: Correct = Benzoic Acid, Incorrect =
- Accurate Value reported based upon the full PO value (must include the material, fabrication
costs and any other values applicable such as assists or royalties)
- Country of Origin
- Intended Use (e.g. parts for electric spectrometers)
- Genentech Purchase Order Number
For Chemicals the following information must be supplied - The majority of these details
are available on the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) which must accompany the
- Chemical Name (example: Correct = Benzoic Acid, Incorrect = Organic Chemical)
- CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service) Number, if applicable
- Intended Use (e.g. chemical for waterproofing clothing)
- Functional Group (e.g. Acid, Alcohol, Ester, Ether, Ketone, etc.)
- For purchased products, the value should reflect the amount the supplier is paid, which
generally is the purchase order amount. However, some agreements provide for additional
payments which may not be known at the time of importation.
- For products sent on a no charge basis the supplier must provide the cost of materials,
labor and fabrication costs, general expenses and profit (if any).
- For additional information refer to the following: Direct any questions about this
requirement to Genentech's Trade Compliance
Department ([email protected]).